Granola is one of my favorite breakfast foods, especially mixed with yogurt. My tummy loves the probotics that are naturally a part of yogurt. As an effort to get away from plastic containers, which would be another day's blog post, I decided to make my own yogurt and granola. I could not be happier!
Yummy goodness in every bite.
I found some recipes on Martha Stewart's website, and altered them just slightly to give them my own twist.
Homemade Yogurt
5 cups whole milk
1/4 cup plain yogurt with active cultures
Directions:
1. Take starter yogurt out of the fridge now, and let it come to room temperature, as you prepare the milk. In heavy-bottomed 4-quart saucepan, heat milk stirring frequently over medium heat, to 185 degrees. Remove from heat, and let cool to 110 degrees.
2. Place yogurt in a medium bowl. Using a whisk, gradually stir in cooled milk about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring smooth between additions. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, poling two or tree holes for ventilation, or simply use a dish cloth like I did. Transfer to a warm place about 90 degrees, and let sit until milk begins to thicken around the edges and the yogurt is set, about 5 hours.
3. Place bowl in refrigerator until completely chilled. Reserve at least 1/4 cup of this yogurt to begin the next batch. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Below is a picture of my starter yogurt coming to room temperature, before I mixed in the warm milk.
What did I do to incubate my yogurt? I placed it in a large jar and covered it with a cloth. Next I turned on my gas oven for 1 minute, on 300 degrees, and turned it off. Then, I placed my mixture inside. Just like I would do to rise bread. I checked it again later in the day, and it still had a way to go. So, I warmed my oven again and let it sit overnight. I ended up with a sour yogurt, the longer it sits the more sour it can become. This is actually a better yogurt, and more easily digestible because the lactose is eaten up by the bacteria. The sour yogurt was not a problem with taste, because once I served it with the granola, it was sweet.
Here is my warm milk and yogurt starter mixture, ready for incubation.
Next, I made my homemade granola. It was so easy!
Homemade Granola
Makes about 7 cups
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled
1 cup raw sunflower seeds, hulled
1 cup coconut chips
1 1/2 cup raw pecans
1/2 cup flax seeds
3/4 cup maple syrup, I used Grade A
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. A wooden spoon works great for this. Place mixture on a rimmed baking sheet (I used parchment paper, but you don't have to). Place in oven and bake, stirring after 20 minutes. Bake until granola is toasted about 45 minutes.
3. Let granola cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container for one month. I put mine in Ball glass canning jars, to keep it fresh and crunchy.
4. Serve on top of yogurt, and sprinkle with dried fruit.
I served mine with dried blueberries. It was delicious!

No comments:
Post a Comment