Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Planting Season

I finished planting most of my garden plants.  We planted a few strawberries, artichokes, lots of tomatoes, eggplant, squash, cucumber, bell peppers, herbs, and melons.

I took a few shots of the strawberries, and they seem to be doing nicely so far!  We collected 2 strawberries that were not quite ripe, and I let them finish ripening on my window sill.  They were a little tart, but yummy!! Those little birds, squirrels, and bunnies need to keep away from them!  I sprinkled some cornmeal on and around them, as this is supposed to help kill the fire ants.  Fire ants are just downright mean, and destroyed my okra last summer.


I found a scary looking spider when I was digging and planting.  I'm not sure what kind it is but it does not have any markings, so I'm hopeful it is not a black widow or a brown recluse.  


As I came close to get a picture, I was a little nervous, I did not want it to jump up on me!  I really don't care for spiders, at all!!  Mostly I don't care if they are around, I just don't want to touch them.  I do like them eating flies and other undesirable bugs!  This is a time when I'm thankful for my gardening gloves.

Have a great week!  Blessings, Rachel

3 comments:

  1. No need to worry. That's definitely not a Black Widow nor Brown Recluse. It looks cool, though! (I like spiders.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Russ! I thought about it later, and wondered if I should have gotten rid of that spider, glad I didn't! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. That spider looks scary! Like really scary!

    ReplyDelete