Thursday, September 9, 2010

Playroom Chalkboard & Bulletin Board

My husband and I came up with a fun idea to keep the girls school artwork displayed, yet out of the way.  We decided they needed an area they can call their own, instead of the refrigerator.  :)

We did some web research, and came up with our design.  It wasn't really that hard, but we wanted it to look nice.


There are many colors to choose from, and for the girls we picked raspberry.  My husband did the hard work. The first step was framing the wall, then priming and painting the frame.  Next, he cut a large piece of plywood and covered it with a few layers of magnetic paint.  After that was dry, he painted the chalkboard paint over it.  The magnetic paint was very messy, but a fun added feature to the chalkboard.  He used two large bulletin boards and cut them to fit the space.  He attached the bulletin boards and the chalk boards with liquid nails. The "tray" under the chalk board is a piece of trim that worked out perfectly.  Check out the finished project below.




I got those awesome chalk markers and wrote scripture around the edges to encourage the girls.  I love that idea and found it on Sugar Pie Farmhouse, I just love her encouraging blog!  Mine is not as "cutesy" but it works for me!  ;)

The girls love it and so do I!  Now they can display all their artwork in their playroom and have fun writing and drawing on their chalkboard.

Hope you are not floating away in Hermine!  Blessings, Rachel

2 comments: