Friday, August 27, 2010

Beauty

I'm reading 5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter by Vicki Courtney.  I just read the chapter on Media Lies.  Our girls are inundated with images of physical beauty from infant-hood.  Society objectifies and sexualizes females in many ways:  fashion magazines, music, even in toys.  We as their mothers and parents need to be aware of this and combat it in our homes.

As I got in my car today, I heard about this video on KLOVE.   Women can't live up to this standard because it's not based in reality, even the model is unrecognizable afterwards.



Men and boys need to see this too.  We are being spoon fed lies about what to expect about our "image" or what "image" a woman should look like.  We are all created differently and beautifully, but most importantly, is what is in our hearts, not on the outside.

God's word tells us "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30.  What does this mean?  That virtue is more important and long lasting.  This body of ours will someday (or may have already) get old, wrinkly, and saggy.  That is the way we were designed.  It is the truth, but it is what is in our hearts that really matters.  My grandmother was an old wrinkly woman, she was small, and not perfectly fit.  She dressed modestly, and went to church regularly.  She never painted her nails but she was always clean and smelled nice, like soap.  I don't remember her wearing makeup.  When I think about her, I think about her laugh, the light in her eyes when she was amused, her wisdom, what a joy it was to be around her, the fun things she would come up to do with me, and her love.  That is what I cherish about her memory.

As my girls turn into young women I hope to impart to them, that it is their heart attitude that really matters.  Not their outward appearance.



Blessings, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment