Friday, July 30, 2010

Sautéed Eggplant and Red Pepper Pasta Salad

This is now one of my all time favorite Pasta Salads.  I just love a good pasta salad.  
I adapted this from a Southern Living recipe, and I'm so glad I did!
Several of the veggies I had growing in my garden, so that was a wonderful way to use them up.
Many of the other things I find at Costco, so I get them cheep and fresh.

Sautéed Eggplant and Red Pepper Pasta Salad
1 16 oz package of small pasta (I like Casarecce or Ziti)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 pressed clove of garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil 
1/2 cup olive oil or grapeseed oil
1 cup fresh Parmesan Cheese (grated)
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup - 1 cup Small Pear-Shaped Tomatoes sliced in half
1 large or several small Red Bell Peppers
1 large or 4 small eggplants (my eggplants were about the size of a fingerling potato)
Mixed Baby Salad Greens


1,  Prepare the pasta, and rinse with cold water.  Set aside.  2.  Toast pine nuts in dry skillet (I use the same one I made my peppers/eggplants in) on med-high, until they look toasty.  About 5-10 minutes.  3.  Peel eggplant and slice horizontally into wedges.  Make sure they are small enough to fit in your mouth, but not tiny.  Chop bell pepper into thin slices.  Sauté both in a little olive oil.  Keep them in the pan until they start turning slightly brown/black.  This gives them a roasted flavor.  Remove from heat, and set aside.  4.  Add vinegar, mustard, sea salt, garlic, basil, and oil into a large bowl and wisk.   5.  Toss all ingredients, except your salad greens, together in your large bowl.  6.  Line salad bowls with your salad greens and place pasta on top.    

This makes 5-8 servings.  It just depends on if it's your meal or a side dish.  For me, it's a meal.  This stores well for several days.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I've never cooked with eggplant! Interesting... :)

    ReplyDelete